A print with insects superimposed on a photo of a nuclear reactor.
Jonathan Thunder in front of one of his murals.
An irregularly shaped glass bottle
A Native American fringed leather shirt.

The Tweed Museum of Art has a global collection of more than ten thousand objects spanning eight centuries. Diverse media, such as paintings, photographs, ceramics, prints, cultural objects, and sculpture form the core collections, with digital prints, textiles, and animation and computer media broadening the scope of work. The Museum and its initial collection began with the nineteenth Century European and American artworks collected by George P. Tweed and given to the Tweed by his widow, Alice Tweed Tuohy. The collection’s strengths are nineteenth Century French Barbizon art, American art, drawings and prints, photographs, and contemporary Native and Indigenous art. Today the collections have grown to be global and diverse, in large part due to significant acquisition funds that allow the Tweed to remain relevant to its communities.

Expand all

BEADED MASK, 2010

Naomi Bebo (Ho-Chunk/Menominee, born 1979), Beaded Mask, 2010. Seed beads, ribbons, and deer hide on Iraqi gas mask, Collection of the Tweed Museum of Art, UMD. Marguerite L. Gilmore Charitable Foundation Fund. © Photo by David Young-Wolff.

 

OFFICIAL PORTRAITS: CITIZEN, 2006

Hung Liu (Chinese, 1948), Official Portraits: Citizen, 2006. Color lithograph, collage on paper, 30 1/4 x 30 in. ed. 4/30. Collection of the Tweed Museum of Art, UMD. Sax Brothers Purchase Fund.

© Hung Liu, 2006, courtesy of Shark's Ink, Lyons, Colorado. Photo credit: Bud Shark.

JAPANESE LANTERNS, 1895

Luther Emerson Van Gorder (American, 1861–1931). Japanese Lanterns, 1895. Oil on canvas. Collection of the Tweed Museum of Art, UMD. Gift of Howard W. Lyon.

sponsors logos for the Minnesota State Arts Boards and Land and Legacy Amendment

 

This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a Minnesota State Arts Board Operating Support grant, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund